Gabrielle Union has decided to speak up about the recent controversy surrounding Planned Parenthood, it being disproportionately placed in minority communities, and it allegedly being the cause of many African-American babies being aborted.
For Union, the Planned Parenthood controversy hits a personal note: Her best friend, who lacked health care, was able to receive both screening and treatment for cancer. Even though Union’s friend recently died from the disease, Union contends that Planned Parenthood still gave her friend a fighting chance. Read her words below!
“At the age of 32, my girlfriend Kristen Martinez was diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer. She fought incredibly hard for five years but ultimately lost her battle with breast cancer on June 16, 2010.
We knew she wasn’t going to make it this past summer, so I asked her, What’s the one thing that you want young girls to take away, what do you want your legacy to be?
She said just to remind people and women, especially, that you are your own best advocate, and if you don’t put you first, no one else will. With all that’s going on in the media about Planned Parenthood and abortions, I think the media is doing the public a great disservice. The fact that only 3 percent of the services that Planned Parenthood provides are abortions makes you wonder what’s happening with the other 97 percent of what Planned Parenthood is doing… READ THE REST HERE!