For the Chips:
- 3 medium russet potatoes (1 1/4 pounds)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
For the Fish:
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 3/4 cups crispy rice cereal
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless Pollock (or other firm white fish), cut into 2-by-4-inch pieces
- Tartar sauce and/or malt vinegar, for serving (optional)
Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 450 degrees F using the convection setting, if available. Place a baking sheet on one of the racks to preheat.
Prepare the chips: Cut the potatoes into 1/4-inch-thick sticks. Toss with the olive oil and cayenne in a bowl. Carefully remove the hot baking sheet from the oven, add the potatoes and spread in an even layer. Use a rubber spatula to scrape any oil from the bowl over the potatoes. Bake on the top oven rack, turning once, until browned and crisp, 25 to 30 minutes. Season with salt.