- 1/2 head of romaine
- 1/2 head of Boston lettuce
- 1 small bunch of frisée (curly endive)
- 1/2 bunch of watercress, coarse stems discarded All lettuces should be rinsed, spun or patted dry, and coarsely chopped
- 6 slices of bacon
- 2 ripe avocados, seed removed, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 whole skinless boneless chicken breast (about 3/4 pound total), halved, cooked, and diced
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped fine
- 2 hard-boiled large eggs, separated, the yolk finely chopped and the white finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1/3 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely grated Roquefort
1 Cook the bacon in a skillet on medium heat until crisp on both sides. Remove from skillet and lay out on paper towels to absorb the excess fat. Allow the bacon to cool. Crumble the bacon and set aside.
2 In a large salad bowl, toss together well the various lettuces and watercress.
3 Compose the salad. Arrange the chicken, the bacon, the tomato, and the avocado decoratively over the greens and garnish the salad with the grated egg and the chives.
4 In a small bowl whisk together the vinegar, the mustard, and salt and pepper to taste, add the oil in a slow stream, whisking, and whisk the dressing until it is emulsified. Stir in the Roquefort. Add sugar to taste, 1/2 teaspoon at a time. Whisk the dressing. Serve separately or toss in with the salad.
Pic of recipe courtesy of http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/cobb_salad/