The Mary Mary’s reality tv show on WETv is giving television a much-needed look at the dynamics of family businesses and relationships
It is refreshing to see real issues, without the focus on drinking, scandalizing others and gossiping. Make sure that you use Your Guide To Who’s Who On Mary Mary’s TV Show each week.
Last night we saw Erica and Tina deal with two things that most of us deal with all the time.
1- A business negotiation with a relative can be complicated.
2- A change that affects you professionally can often leads to hard lessons personally.
There was so much going on last night on the show. What did you think?
We learned last week that Erica’s pregnancy was nearing high risk nd that a tour would cause her to deliver prematurely, risking both her baby’s health and hers. This decision forced the cancellations of tour dates. Mitch, their manager, was nearing a nervous breakdown this week. He had to deliver the numbers and cents of the decision. Two hundred and fifty thousand dollars of a hard hit to be exact. Understanding that this would mean a reduction of all staff salaries across the board, Mitch delivered the news to their sister/stylist. If that wasn’t enough of a hard hit,the Mary’s sister Goo Goo had a run in with Mitch over retainer versus raise. Not receiving Mitch’s news well, Goo Goo walked out on their lunch meeting.
Here are some discussion points:
If Goo Goo were any other person, would her taking a pay cut have been an issue? Did her being related to the Mary’s cause stress and worries that could have been addressed amongst them privately? Should Goo Goo have understood that being a sibling did not exempt you from a business decisions?
The second lesson of the night was in how we go about dealing with difficult professional decisions. We all have to make them. Sometimes they are not the easiest choices or decisions. In the end the ladies realized that quality of performance and life sacrificed if they continued with tour plans. In the end, Erica and Tina decided that for health reasons it would be better to cancel the tour and hit the road later, than risk a dangerous situation for the sake of doing something now.
How often do we think about the long-term over the right now? What did you get out of last night? We want to hear from you.
Mary Mary Facts
1. Mary Mary Started As Background SingersSource: 1 of 23
2. In 2000 they were the First!2 of 23
3. American Music Awards 20013 of 23
4. Mary Mary's Names Are NOT Mary!Source: 4 of 23
5. Thankful (2000), was certified PlatinumSource: 5 of 23
6. They are close in age.Source: 6 of 23
7. Mary Mary's Stylist is Sister Goo GooSource: 7 of 23
8. All eight Atkins children have been on Bobby Jones GospelSource: 8 of 23
9. The sisters have done traveling plays.Source: 9 of 23
10. Mary Mary have 7 Albums To Their CreditsSource: 10 of 23
11. They each love fashion.Source: 11 of 23
12. They still share a a last nameSource: 12 of 23
13. 2005 Heaven And Yesterday Become Chart hits13 of 23
14. Their reality show is a big success!Source: 14 of 23
15. Erica and Tina have an autobiographySource: 15 of 23
16. They hosted the 2013 Stellar AwardsSource: 16 of 23
17. Mary Mary Go RealitySource: 17 of 23
18. Mary Mary works hard.Source: 18 of 23
19. They continue to tour.Source: 19 of 23
20. Mary Mary at 2014 Gospel Superbowl20 of 23
21. They have a number of awards21 of 23
22. 2008-bet-awards22 of 23
23. The music industry embraces their takent23 of 23
Mary Mary’s “Go Get It” Lesson & Recap From Episode 3 “De-Tour” was originally published on elev8.com