(HOUSTON) — The 4th of July holiday is this weekend and thieves may be targeting women in parking lots and at gas stations.
Officer James Sobota spoke with NEWS 92 FM’s Dennis Spellman about the dangers which may be lurking outside shopping malls and grocery stores, and five things you can do to protect yourself from purse thieves.
See video of how purse robbers can strike below!
Listen to Dennis Spellman’s full report:
How to Protect Yourself from Purse Thieves
- Always walk with your strap away from the driving lane, Sobota says. Thieves often drive up in a car with the window down and tug the purse right out of a victim’s arms.
- Place your purse inside your vehicle before unloading your shopping cart.
- When you are making multiple purchases at more than one store, buy the most expensive item last before returning home.
- Hold your keys and lock your doors before pumping gas.
- Zip your purse and secure it with the shopping cart’s child safety strap.