The empty streets of Baltimore Tuesday morning mirror a stark contrast from events that took place on Monday after individuals took to the streets following Freddie Gray’s funeral, engaging in behavior that left 15 officers injured and dozens arrested.
While many were fixated on the burning buildings and the national state of emergency the city was facing, a brave group of clergy members marched peacefully for Gray and the many other victims of police violence.
WBAL Reporter Deborah Weiner caught the moment as clergy members young and old marched down the streets, including a man in a wheelchair. The powerful moment was overlooked on national media, but the religious leaders gave their take on the city’s State of Emergency.
“I asked the clergy what they thought of the State of Emergency that the Governor declared,” Weiner said. “They said there has been a State of Emergency way before tonight in Baltimore City, an emergency in poverty, lack of jobs [and] disenfranchisement from the political process.”
Following the harrowing moments of yesterday’s riots, many have stressed the need for peace – including Gray’s family, who condemned the acts of looting and arson.
— EbenezerAME (@EbenezerAME) April 28, 2015
— ColumbiaUnionVisitor (@VisitorNews) April 28, 2015
— Staci D Kramer (@sdkstl) April 27, 2015
You can check out the peaceful moment above.
SOURCE: Think Progress | VIDEO CREDIT: YouTube
Baltimore Reacts To The Freddie Gray Case [PHOTOS]
1. Fire eruptsSource:Getty 1 of 18
2. After being pepper sprayedSource:Getty 2 of 18
3. Injured manSource:Getty 3 of 18
4. Smoke conditionSource:Getty 4 of 18
5. Mondawmin Mall clashSource:Getty 5 of 18
6. Mowdamin MallSource:Getty 6 of 18
7. Lining up to mourn Freddie GraySource:Getty 7 of 18
8. GrievingSource:Getty 8 of 18
9. New Shiloh Baptist ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 18
10. Honk for JusticeSource:Getty 10 of 18
11. Police in riot gear confront protestersSource:Getty 11 of 18
12. Police in motionSource:Getty 12 of 18
13. ConfrontedSource:Getty 13 of 18
14. Facing downSource:Getty 14 of 18
15. On the groundSource:Getty 15 of 18
16. Atop a carSource:Getty 16 of 18
17. Remembering Freddie GraySource:Getty 17 of 18
18. Marching to police stationSource:Getty 18 of 18
A Little Positivity: Clergy Marches Peacefully Admist State Of Emergency In Baltimore was originally published on newsone.com