Wednesday evening protests inspired by those who marched for answers in the death of Freddie Gray spread from Baltimore to other cities. Some highlights:
-In New York City (see the video above), protesters starting at Union Square in Manhattan marched throughout the city, at one point shutting down the West Side highway and Holland Tunnel., according to CBS-2. At least one dozen arrests were made, according to USA Today, and Michael Skolnik of Interactive One (parent company of NewsOne) who was out with the marchers, and sent out a photo of Instagram of one of them. His caption: “Lots of arrests in NYC tonight. This could be a very long night…”
-In Washington, DC, NBC-4 reported that “a large group of protesters,” rallied peacefully after gathering at Gallery Place and DuPont Circle.
-In Denver, a rally that started at the county jail ended with several arrests and police pepper-spraying protesters, reported ABC-7.
-In Minneapolis, about 1,500 people marched throughout the downtown area, reported the Star Tribune. There were no arrests.
-In Boston, the Boston Globe reported that more than 500 protesters marched after gathering behind police headquarters in the Roxbury section of the city.
-Meanwhile, back in Baltimore, the epicenter of protests in reaction to the death of Freddie Gray after suffering a severed spine in police custody, USA Today reported that thousands gathered outside of City Hall. Eighteen people had been arrested in Baltimore by 8 p.m., including two juveniles, the paper reported. Just after a citywide 10 p.m.-5 a.m. curfew took effect, conditions were reportedly calm.
Baltimore Reacts To The Freddie Gray Case [PHOTOS]
1. Fire eruptsSource:Getty 1 of 18
2. After being pepper sprayedSource:Getty 2 of 18
3. Injured manSource:Getty 3 of 18
4. Smoke conditionSource:Getty 4 of 18
5. Mondawmin Mall clashSource:Getty 5 of 18
6. Mowdamin MallSource:Getty 6 of 18
7. Lining up to mourn Freddie GraySource:Getty 7 of 18
8. GrievingSource:Getty 8 of 18
9. New Shiloh Baptist ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 18
10. Honk for JusticeSource:Getty 10 of 18
11. Police in riot gear confront protestersSource:Getty 11 of 18
12. Police in motionSource:Getty 12 of 18
13. ConfrontedSource:Getty 13 of 18
14. Facing downSource:Getty 14 of 18
15. On the groundSource:Getty 15 of 18
16. Atop a carSource:Getty 16 of 18
17. Remembering Freddie GraySource:Getty 17 of 18
18. Marching to police stationSource:Getty 18 of 18
#BaltimoreUprising Protests Spread To NYC, DC And Beyond was originally published on newsone.com