The family of Jahi McMath, the 17-year-old was deemed brain-dead after a tonsillectomy, has received some good news.
According to the Associated Press, a California judge ruled this week that Jahi may technically still be alive, which would allow their medical malpractice lawsuit against the California hospital which declared her brain-dead to move forward.
This would include a jury determining whether or not Jahi is dead or alive, which would increase the damages jurors could award if they determine Children’s Hospital in Oakland doctors botched the teen’s surgery that was supposed to help alleviate her sleep apnea.
Chris Dolan, who represents the family is seeking to rescind Jahi’s death certificate, said the family was “overjoyed” with the judge’s ruling.
“It’s literally a matter of life and death,” he said.
As we previously reported, three doctors declared the teen legally dead and tried to take her off of life support which Jahi’s mother, Nailah Winkfield, fought in court. The family was forced to relocate from Oakland to New Jersey in order to have Jahi stay in a facility that was willing to keep her on life support.
See in California, non-economic damages such as pain and suffering are capped at $250,000 for medical malpractice, but the family could get more money for Jahi’s care if she isn’t declared dead, which is what doctors claim she is currently and even signed a death certificate for her back in 2013.
If Jahi’s family wins, they can bring her home where doctors would be forced to give her care.
Since her daughter’s tragic surgery, Winkfield has stressed that Jahi is “healthy” and is very much “still alive. ”
“Jahi Will Rise. A recent picture of beautiful Jahi, doing very well, hair, skin and all very healthy, growing into a beautiful young lady right in front of her mothers eyes. God has done and is still doing great things in this young girls life. Jahi’s Journey and Miracle is a story and testimony to be told” she wrote on the“Keep Jahi Mcmath on Life Support” Facebook page last year.
Meanwhile, Children’s Hospital in Oakland doctors stress that Jahi has irreversible brain damage from a lack of oxygen and even suffered cardiac arrest.
Remembering Greatness: The Celebrity Deaths Of 2016
1. Rapper Shawty Lo died in a fiery Atlanta car crash on the morning of Sept. 21.Source:Getty 1 of 14
2. Sportscaster John Saunders passed away suddenly at the age of 61 on Aug. 10. The details surrounding his passing are still unclear.Source:Getty 2 of 14
3. Actor Gene Wilder, best known for his role in ‘Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory,’ died on Aug. 29 from Alzheimer’s disease.Source:Getty 3 of 14
4. Legendary boxer Muhammad Ali passed away on June 3 after a 32-year battle with Parkinson’s.Source:Getty 4 of 14
5. Actor Anton Yelchin, best known for his role as Chekov in ‘Star Wars,’ passed away minutes after a June 19 car accident.Source:Getty 5 of 14
6. Actor Ron Lester died on Aug. 4 of kidney failure. He was best known for his role in ‘Not Another Teen Movie.’Source:Getty 6 of 14
7. ‘The Voice’ star Christina Grimmie was shot dead at 22 years old by a man who opened fire on her while she signed autographs.Source:Getty 7 of 14
8. Legendary singer Prince tragically died from an accidental prescription drug overdose on April 21. He was 57-years-old.Source:Getty 8 of 14
9. WWF wrestler and actress Chyna died from an accidental overdose of Valium and Ambien on April 20. She was 45 years old.Source:Getty 9 of 14
10. ‘Blood, Sweat, & Heels’ reality star Daisy Lewellyn died from a rare form of liver cancer on April 8.Source:Getty 10 of 14
11. Singer Denise Matthews, aka Vanity, died from kidney failure at the age of 57 on Feb. 15. She was Prince’s protegée and ex-girlfriend.Source:Getty 11 of 14
12. Singer Maurice White passed away on Feb. 3 after battling Parkinson’s disease. He was the founder of R&B group Earth, Wind, & Fire.Source:Getty 12 of 14
13. Rock star David Bowie died on Jan. 10 after battling cancer for 18 months. He was 69.Source:Getty 13 of 14
14. A Tribe Called Quest rapper Phife Dawg passed away on March 22 due to complications from diabetes. He was 45 years old.Source:Getty 14 of 14
California Jury To Decide If Brain Dead Teen Is Still Alive was originally published on hellobeautiful.com