Despite GOP efforts to sabotage the Affordable Care Act, President Barack Obama’s signature policy appears to have new life. Many feared that Americans would turn their backs on Obamacare during the enrollment period.
Sign-ups for Obamacare reached a record level since open enrollment began on Nov. 1, compared to the same time span in previous years, according to The Hill. More than 200,000 people chose a health care plan for 2018—which doubled the enrollment figure for the same period last year.
It may be too early for a victory dance, though, as many of the enrollees were likely people renewing their policies and not new customers.
Even still, this surge is clearly an indication that there’s a significant demand for Obamacare and should send a signal to GOP lawmakers and President Donald Trump.
How can Obamacare survive going forward? The short-term solution is at the state level.
More than a dozen states proactively informed residents that its open enrollment period was approaching, demonstrating that that Obamacare was not dead, CNN reported.
The marketing and outreach budget was expected to be increased by $12 million during this enrollment period in California, which has about 1.3 million people enrolled in Obamacare.
Meanwhile, President Obama set off a social media campaign that has reached scores of people. He posted this tweet:
These enrollment figures can only encourage more people to join the fight to save Obamacare. Celebrities and policy experts are spearheading those efforts.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
As Obamacare Enrollment Sets New Record, Here’s How To Save The ACA From Trump was originally published on newsone.com