Domestic abuse is an unfortunate tragedy that our society deals with on a regular basis. Women and children happen to be the ones that suffer from it the most.
Anita Hawkins and her husband former baseball player LaTroy Hawkins have donated their Dallas home as a shelter for battered women. Hawkins, being a survivor of domestic abuse herself, felt the need to get involved by supporting an organization called Women Called Moses.
“Well, I’ve been working with Women Called Moses for 3 years. When I first met her (Debra Nixon-Bowles the founder) at her gala for her organization it was such an impact on me that she was out there in the trenches fighting for women,” explained Hawkins.
“The home is a transition home for women and children before they go into something permanent,” said Hawkins. “This was the only safe haven in the southern sector of Dallas.”
Lots of people wonder why it’s so hard for women to leave these situations. Hawkins expressed, “No one could tell me that I was tired. I had to get tired for me…You don’t think that you can make it on your own,” when you have kids. That can be a major factor in why women find it hard to leave even though they are getting abused.
To find out more about Women Called Moses and the work they are doing head over to https://www.womencalledmoses.org/.
Faces of Hope: Survivors of Abuse
1. Tina Turner was in an abusive relationship with Ike Turner.1 of 18
2. Rihanna was the victim of domestic abuse at the hand of then boyfriend Chris Brown.2 of 18
3. Poet Maya Angelou was abused by her mother's boyfriend.3 of 18
4. Media mogul Oprah Winfrey was abused by a relative at age 9.4 of 18
5. Sugar Ray Leonard was abused by a coach when he was an amateur boxer.5 of 18
6. Christina Aguilera grew up with an abusive father.6 of 18
7. Vanessa Williams was abused by the daughter of a family friend.7 of 18
8. Bill Clinton's step father Roger Clinton was abusive .8 of 18
9. Common was abused by a family friend when he was about 10 years old.9 of 18
10. Mariah Carey was emotionally abused by an ex-boyfriend.10 of 18
11. Ellen DeGeneres was abused as a teen.Source:Getty 11 of 18
12. Mike Tyson was kidnapped and sexually abused when he was seven years old.12 of 18
13. Missy Elliott was a victim of childhood sexual abuse.13 of 18
14. Billie Holiday was raped by a neighbor.14 of 18
15. Antwone Fisher was emotionally and sexually abused as a child.15 of 18
16. Carlos Santana was a victim of childhood sexual abuse.16 of 18
17. Fantasia was raped by a classmate when she was in high school.17 of 18
18. Actor Derek Luke was a victim of sexual assault when he was a child.18 of 18
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Inside Her Story: Women Called Moses A Place Of Refuge was originally published on blackamericaweb.com