It was 1997 when Love Jones premiered starring budding stars Larenz Tate and Nia Long, and almost 15 years later we’re still jonesin’ for the movie that came to be a definitive portrait of black love. Written and directed by Theodore Witcher, Love Jones was the first in a series of films in the late 90’s to depict young black professionals on their quest for love and the American dream. Here are the 25 Reasons We Love Love Jones.
1. The cliche but truly enjoyable “Brotha to the Night” performance.
2. The introduction of spoken-word “culture” to the mainstream.
3. Bill Bellamy drove a hearse.
4. Nina’s photography skills were dope.
5. They went to a stepper’s set.
6. Marvin’s classic line, “I’m going to get some muthaf*ckin Toasted Oats. You tripping!”
7. Darius dedicated his book to Nina.
8. Savon’s wife called him “triflin.”
9. Sheila’s consummate mother-earth-tell-it-like-it-is-diva-ness.
10. The house party scene where Vaughn brings his female “co-worker” and Wood brings Nina.
11. Nina and Darius both feed their insecurities by dating other people which was both real and accurate.
12. The soundtrack was epic.
13. Nia Long was “house-sitting” the dopest apartment ever.
14. Nina’s got her dream job at Vibe magazine.
Check out the rest in our photo gallery.
Related: 25 Reasons We Love “A Different World”
Share this post on Facebook! CLICK HERE:
Iconic Singer Tina Turner Dead at 83
Are Donna Summer's Kids Fighting Over Her $75 Million Fortune?
Beyoncé Pens A Sweet Message To Blue Ivy After Renaissance Performance
You Must Ask Your Daughter’s Boyfriend These 10 Questions
Rickey Smiley Nominated for Houston's Best Morning Show!
Who Knew? Rocsi Diaz And Joe Take Their Romance On Vacation
Plastic Surgeon Linked To Jacky Oh Is ‘Liposuction & BBL Specialist’ With Negative Online Reviews
"Eat the Cake Anna Mae!" 6 Favorite Ike Turner Lines