It’s no surprise that President Donald Trump is unleashing another round of lies and denials. He’s taking heat for telling a soldier’s widow in a condolence phone call that her husband knew—or should have known—what he signed up for.
According to NBC News, U.S. Rep. Frederica Wilson heard the president make the shocking comment to Sgt. La David T. Johnson’s widow, Myeshia Johnson, on Tuesday as they traveled together to meet his body.
The Florida congresswoman recounted what she heard on speaker phone to NBC Miami: “He said, ‘But you know he must’ve known what he signed up for.’”
“I wanted to curse him out,” Wilson said in statement. “It was almost like saying, ‘You signed up to do this, and if you didn’t want to die, shouldn’t have signed up.’”
Johnson, 25, of Miami Gardens, was one of the four U.S. service members killed on Oct. 4 in an ambush by militants in the African country of Niger during a train-and-advise mission.
This fresh round of criticism comes after the president was corned by reporters on Monday about failing to contact families of the four troops.
In his defensive response to reporters, Trump lied—or as the New York Times stated, he “falsely asserted”—that former President Barack Obama and other presidents did not contact the families of fallen service members.
According to NBC, the White House doesn’t want to comment on what Trump said to Myeshia Johnson because those conversations are private. But as usual, Trump fired off at least one tweet claiming the story is false.
Tragically, Myeshia Johnson is pregnant with the couple’s third child. Their two other children are aged 2 and 6. A GoFundMe campaign is raising funds to provide for their children’s college education. By Wednesday morning, the total reached nearly $160,000.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Trump Denies Telling Widow Of Fallen Soldier ‘He Must’ve Known What He Signed Up For’ was originally published on newsone.com