Michael Jackson‘s landmark album “Thriller” was released 33 years ago and still remains a classic musical masterpiece.
With only 9 tracks on the original “Thriller” album, hits such as “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin'” to “Billie Jean” to “P.Y.T” will never be forgotten.
“To be able to say that “Thriller” still holds the record as the biggest-selling album of all time is just mind-blowing,” Jackson said, in 2008. “I have you, my fans, throughout the world to thank for this achievement.”
Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” album still remains the best selling album of all time at 110 million copies sold.
Check out 10 thrilling facts about MJ and his album:
1. The “Thriller” video lost the top prize at the first-ever MTV Video Music Awards in 1984.
2. Real gang members were brought in to be extras in the “Beat It’ video.
3. MJ lived with his parents when the “Thriller” video was made.
4. The album “Thriller” was originally titled “Starlight.”
5. MJ was almost excommunicated by the Jehovah’s Witnesses when they found out his video violated strict rules about occult imagery.
6. MJ almost had the footage destroyed when he found out he was in trouble with the Jehovah’s Witnesses.
7. “Thriller” was the first video to be inducted into the National Film Registry in 2009.
8. MJ’s famous red jacket worn in the “Thriller” video was sold for 1.8 million at an auction in 2011.
9. The “Thriller” video was the most expensive video made at the time for half-a-million dollars.
10. And again, Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” album is still the best selling album of all time.