In the 1990’s, one of my favorite movies was “What’s Love Got To Do With It” the movie adaptation of Tina Turner’s autobiography, I, Tina. The movie was gripping, not only spotlighting how she arose to stardom but it also depicted Tina’s late husband Ike Turner, on one side as a musical genius and on the other, a physically abusive and drug addicted husband. While the story was nothing light, it did have its funny moments, which comedians like those from “In Living Color” ran with (see clip below).
Tonight TV One’s “UNSUNG” goes deeper into the story of “Ike” be sure to check it out at 7pm CST!
6 Favorite Lines from Ike Turner (What’s Love Got To Do With It) the movie:
- “Eat Some Cake Anna Mae”
- “The name is mine. The name got my daddy’s blood on it. If she wanna go, she can go wherever she wanna go, but the name stays home!”
- “Now, you listen to me. I MADE you. You were nothing before you met me, and you ain’t gonna be nothing without me.”
- “Your daddy’s rich and your mama’s good looking.”
- “Don’t you walk away from me, woman!”
- “You trying to help Ike? YOU TRYING TO help IKE? I Ain’t the one that needs help! YOU THE ONE THAT NEEDS help!”
Check out these clips inspired by Ike Turner below: