Convicted rapist and former Saints’ safety Darren Sharper could face 15 1/2 to 20 years in prison thanks to a new plea deal with a New Orleans federal court, NOLA.com reported.
Last month, U.S. District Judge Jane Triche Milazzo rejected a plea deal giving Sharper 9 years for raping three women in NOLA, however on Tuesday, she accepted this one. This particular deal also forces Sharper, who acknowledged his guilt, to “more closely conform with federal sentencing guidelines that recommend 188 to 235 months for the drug conspiracy and distribution violations to which he admitted guilt,” NOLA.com wrote.
However, Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael McMahon said that he might recommend a lighter sentence if Sharper testifies against his alleged accomplices Brandon Licciardi and Erik Nunez. Their trial is set for May 12 and both have pleaded not guilty.
“Mr. Sharper has agreed to cooperate,” McMahon said. “We may bring to the attention of the court his cooperation, if we deem that to be substantial. We are not bound to make such a notice to the court. That’s going to be within our discretion. No promises have been made, but the possibility is there.”
But Milazzo was clear that at the end of the day: His prison term will be based solely on her actions, a sentiment that Sharper fully understood in court, NOLA.com noted.
Louisiana is not the only state where the 40-year-old has been accused of drugging and raping women. Sharper faced charges in California, Arizona, Nevada, which were also resolved in a past global plea agreement.
Sharper, who was first indicted in 2014, will be sentenced on June 16.