- 1 lb. Smithfield bacon, large diced and cooked crisp
- 2 eggs
- 2 cup cream-style corn
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Preheat oven to 375° F. Pour the 1/4 cup oil in a large cast iron skillet coating all sides. Place skillet into a preheated oven while mixing the cornbread ingredients.
In a large mixing bowl mix all of the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Pour batter into the preheated cast iron skillet. Place skillet back into the oven and bake until golden brown. Approximately 30 minutes. Serve warm with maple syrup or butter.