3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
4½ teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon cream of tartar
¾ teaspoon salt
¾ cup buttermilk, plus more for topping
4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, diced small
1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
3 tablespoons minced chives
¾ cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes
Coarse sea salt for topping
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and egg. In another small bowl, toss together the cheddar cheese, jalapeño and chives.
3. Add the butter to the flour mixture and use a pastry blender (or your fingers) to work the butter into the flour until the flour resembles coarse meal with the bits of butter the size of small peas or oat flakes.
4. Toss the cheese mixture into the flour mixture. Create a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the buttermilk mixture all at once. Toss together with a fork, making sure that all of the flour bits are moistened by the buttermilk. Dump the biscuit dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly, just enough to bring the dough together.
5. Pat the dough into a 1½-inch-thick circle. Using a 2½-inch circle biscuit cutter to cut the dough into rounds (or use a knife to cut them roughly into circles or squares). Gather the dough scrapes, pat into a new circle and cut more rounds. Repeat until all of the dough has been used.
6. Place the biscuits on the prepared baking sheets, brush the tops with buttermilk and sprinkle them with the sea salt. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown on top. If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container at room temperature. You can eat them straight from there the next day, or reheat in a 350-degree oven until warmed through.
Former Rockets Player Robert Reid Dead at 68
Prayers Up: Wendy Williams Diagnosed With Dementia, Primary Progressive Aphasia
Rodeo News: Bun B Confirms Too Short and E-40 As Performers For All-American Takeover March 12
You Must Ask Your Daughter’s Boyfriend These 10 Questions
Win $250 Cash PLUS Tickets to See DJ Cassidy's Pass The Mic LIVE Feb. 17th
Gary Owen's Estranged Wife Kenya Duke Puts Him On Blast Amid Divorce
Radio ONE Welcomes Madd Hatta Back To Majic 102.1
Bun B Shares Erykah Badu Rodeo Story, Reveals Name Of Another Performer For 2024 Takeover