Orange-Cranberry Upside-Down Cake
Try this delicious Vegan recipe for dessert! Just in time for the holidays!
6 Tbsp. vegan margarine, plus more for greasing the pan (try Earth Balance brand)
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice
1 Tbsp. grated orange zest
1 3/4 cups fresh cranberries
Egg replacer equivalent to 1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Juice of 1 orange
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup soy milk
• Preheat the oven to 350°F, making sure that a rack is in the center. Generously grease an 8-inch round cake pan with margarine and set aside.
• Whisk together 1/2 cup of the sugar with the cinnamon, allspice, and orange zest. Sprinkle evenly over the bottom of the pan. Arrange the cranberries in a single layer on top and set aside.
• In a large bowl, cream the 6 Tbsp. of margarine and the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar for several minutes with an electric mixer until well blended. Add the egg replacer, vanilla, and orange juice. Beat again.
• In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the margarine mixture in three batches, alternating with the soy milk and blending well after each addition.
• Pour over the cranberries and smooth the top. Place on a baking sheet on a rack in the center of the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, approximately 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the cake and invert onto a plate.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Recipe Courtesy of PETA.org