Toni Braxton and Kenny “Babyface” Edmonds’ forthcoming joint album may be called “Love, Marriage & Divorce” but the duo didn’t just pull from their own experiences to capture that relationship roller coaster.
One of the albums’ gut-wrenching tracks, “I Wish,” was inspired by the wise-cracking words of Toni’s mom, Evelyn Jackson, who audiences have come to know and love through WEtv’s reality show “Braxton Family Values,” and her feelings for her ex-husband — and Toni’s dad — Michael.
“The song…’I Wish,’ I wrote for my mom when she and my dad had a divorce,” said Toni. “She was like, ‘I hope he dies; I hope he catches a disease! I don’t really want him to die, but I hope he catches a disease and almost dies!” It was a line that Babyface had never heard before — especially not in a song — so when Toni brought him the song she’d written, centered around what he thought was a “sad-but-funny” phrase, he was sold.
The lyrics the Grammy-Award winning singer ended up with:
I wish, I wish, I wish she’d break your heart
like you did me/I hope you’re unhappy
I pray, I pray, I pray she gives you a disease
so that you will see/Not enough to make you die
only to make you cry, like you did me
Cold! But at least Mama Evelyn’s musings make for a hot ballad. Watch Toni and Babyface tell the full story and hear a preview of the song above!
Click here to pre-order the new album “Love, Marriage & Divorce” on iTunes, due for release February 04, 2014. And don’t miss an exclusive special with these two icons on TV One, February 8, 2014 at 10p ET/9p CT.
Follow us on Twitter: @HelloBeautiful
Like HelloBeautiful on Facebook to stay on top of your favorite black celebrities:
Toni Braxton's Top 15 Songs
1. Toni Braxton & Babyface- "Hurt You"Source: 1 of 9
2. Toni Braxton- "How Could An Angel Break My Heart"Source: 2 of 9
3. Toni Braxton- "He Wasn't Man Enough For Me"Source: 3 of 9
4. Toni Braxton- "How Many Ways"Source: 4 of 9
5. Toni Braxton- "Seven Whole Days"Source: 5 of 9
6. Toni Braxton- "I Love Me Some Him"Source: 6 of 9
7. Toni Braxton- "You're Making Me High"Source: 7 of 9
8. Toni Braxton- "Love Shoulda Brought You Home"Source: 8 of 9
9. Toni Braxton- "Another Sad Love Song"Source: 9 of 9
Toni Braxton Reveals The Heartbreaking Story Behind New Track ‘I Wish’ [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO] was originally published on hellobeautiful.com