A special concert tribute honoring Ray Charles’ legacy premieres Friday, Feb. 26 at 8pm CST on TV One and PBS.
Concluding its celebration of Black History Month, TV One is partnering with PBS to simulcast the star-studded music special Ray Charles Tribute: In Performance at the White House this Friday, Feb. 26 at 9 p.m. ET. The 90-minute concert salutes the legacy of the legendary singer and outstanding songwriter, composer and musician Ray Charles. Marking the final In Performance at the White House special to be filmed during the current administration, the celebration, hosted by President and Mrs. Obama, pays homage to Charles’ pioneering technique – combining big band arrangements with a fusion of gospel, blues, country and jazz genres – that earned him the title of “High Priest of Soul.” TV One will also air encores on Friday, Feb. 26 at 10:30 p.m. ET and Sunday, Feb. 28 at 5 p.m. ET.
This is the second consecutive year TV One has simulcast PBS’s Emmy Award-nominated In Performance at the White House series. The 56th production in the series’ 38-year history, A Ray Charles Tribute: In Performance at the White House, included the following stunning performances with Rickey Minor serving as the executive music director who led the 17-piece band:
- Jussie Smollett performed a riveting rendition of “I Got A Woman”
- Demi Lovato delivered a sultry version of “You Don’t Know Me”
- Usher graced the stage twice for “Georgia On My Mind” & leads an ensemble performance of “What I’d Say” featuring all of the night’s performers
- Anthony Hamilton joined by Shelea Frazier turned up the heat in the East Room with “Night Time Is The Right Time”
- Yolanda Adams, who was once a background singer for Charles, performed “Spirit In the Dark”
- Sam Moore recounted his 40-year friendship with Charles before performing
“I Can’t Stop Loving You”
- Andra Day channeled Charles’ blend of blues and jazz influences for ”Drown In My Own Tears”
- Brittany Howard put her spin on the bluesy number ”Unchain My Heart,” wearing one of Charles’ actual sport coats
- Donning one of Charles’ own sports coats, Leon Bridges performed his favorite Charles single ”Lonely Avenue”
- In a show-stopping collaboration, Yolanda Adams, Andra Day, Demi Lovato and Brittany Howard performed the inspirational tune “Heaven Help Us All”
- Andra Day and Anthony Hamilton paired for a duet performance of “Let the Good Times Roll”
For more information about A Ray Charles Tribute: In Performance at the White House and TV One’s upcoming programming, viewers can join the conversation by visiting the network’s companion website at http://www.tvone.tv and connecting via social media on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook (@tvonetv) using the hash tag #IPWH.
Majic Under The Stars feat. Tyrese, Tamia, Tamar Braxton AND MORE! October 21st
Jeezy Files For Divorce From TV Host Wife Jeannie Mai
You Must Ask Your Daughter’s Boyfriend These 10 Questions
Sha’Carri Richardson Rocks Natural Hair During Diamond League Final 2023: ‘I Had To Pull Out The Natural’
PV vs Grambling: State Fair Classic 2023 Saturday Sept. 30
Save The Date: Majic Under The Stars Returns October 21st!
Smothered Creamed Spinach Chicken Recipe
NYFW Exclusive: Korto Momolu Combined African Culture With JOANN Fabrics To Make “Ink & Ivory” For SS24