Today marks 21 years since we lost the Queen of Tejano, Selena Quintanilla.
We remember the Texas native’s remarkable legacy and her influence as one of the biggest Latina icons.
Remembering Selena: 20 Facts You Might Not Have Known About The Late Selena Quintanilla-Perez
1. Selena made her own stage costumes by gluing Swarovski crystals on her bras.Source: 1 of 11
2. Selena was only 17-years-old when she signed her first contract with Coca-Cola for $75,000.Source: 2 of 11
3. Selena was the first Latin artist to debut on the Billboard charts at number one.Source: 3 of 11
4. Selena’s first car, a BMW, was stolen and dumped into the ocean. She later replaced it with a red Porsche.Source: 4 of 11
5. After her death, there was a big spike in the number of girls being named Selena.Source: 5 of 11
6. Selena dropped out of high school and earned her GED so she could perform full time. This was how her family made a living.Source: 6 of 11
7. Tejano music became directionless after Selena’s death.Source: 7 of 11
8. Selena and band member Chris Perez kept their relationship a secret until they eloped in 1992.Source: 8 of 11
9. Selena made a cameo on the popular Spanish TV novela “Dos Mujeres, Un Camino” in 1993.Source: 9 of 11
10. Selena owned a motorcycle.Source: 10 of 11
11. After her death, an estimated 100,000 people showed up to Selena’s public viewing at the convention center in Corpus Christi.Source: 11 of 11
Remembering Selena Quintanilla: 21 Years After Losing A Musical Icon was originally published on theboxhouston.com