The outlet says that the level of fentanyl found in the enigmatic singer’s system would have killed anyone who consumed it. Prince, 57, was found dead in his elevator on April 21 and only weighed 112 pounds.
According to CNN, fentanyl is 50 times more potent than heroin and up to 100 times more potent than morphine. Authorities are looking into the theory that Prince was unaware of the toxicity of the pills at the time of death.
Investigators ruled his death an accidental overdose, but the recent finding gives more insight into Prince’s death – either the pills were obtained illegally or the manufacturer mislabeled the product, which would lead to an extensive recall.
Prince’s death sparked a national conversation surrounding prescription pill addiction and a hike in the distribution of wholesale counterfeit pills containing fentanyl.
Minnesota and North Dakota has seen a slew of deaths relating to the drug earlier this year, The Tribune reports.
Remembering Prince’s Most Iconic Performances & Music Videos
1. Prince Performing “Purple Rain” During Super Bowl XLI HalftimeSource: 1 of 3
2. Prince Performing at the Capitol Theatre in 1982Source: 2 of 3
3. Prince Performing with James Brown and Michael JacksonSource: 3 of 3
Pills Seized From Prince’s Home Mislabeled, Contained Fentanyl was originally published on newsone.com