As a part of NewsOne Now’s special coverage of the 46th annual Congressional Black Caucus Foundation Legislative Conference, Roland Martin and a select panel of guests look at the state of the 2016 Presidential campaign and dissected a perplexing group of Donald Trump supporters.
Recent polls indicate that the race between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump is tightening, but is it cause for concern for Democrats?
According to Martin, Clinton’s fall in the polls and Trump’s apparent rise is not a big deal because this year’s presidential election will come down to approximately four or five states.
Attorney Midwin Charles shared people may seem frazzled by the shift in the polls because at one point Clinton was up by ten points and said, “I actually think it is a good thing … at some point people were already calling her the heir apparent and at this point I think what this does is it prevents the Democrats and Hillary from becoming too complacent and now you’re going to have to work for it.”
A portion of Donald Trump’s rise in the polls can be contributed to “a bunch of mad angry White folks” who do not care what the Republican presidential nominee has said about women, immigrants, minorities, Sen. John McCain, or the Gold Star family, the Khans.
This contingent of voters seem to be fueled by their hatred of President Barack Obama and former Sec. of State Hillary Clinton. Trump has been able to pair these angry White voters with the rise of the Alt-Right.
Dr. Cleo Manago, CEO of the Black Men’s Xchange, said, “White supremacy is not rational and what they are reacting to from my perspective is eight years of a Black president.”
Manago continued, “They are trying to make up for lost time and they don’t care what Trump says as long as he’s White and being anti everybody else, because that’s a part of their consciousness.
“There’s White people who are fearful of a change in landscape in terms of power and color and they think that this is their savior,” said Manago.
“All he has to do is be pro-White and anti-Black and anti everybody else and they’re going to love him.”
Watch Roland Martin and the NewsOne Now panel discuss the current state of the 2016 presidential race in the video clip above.
PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
RNC 2016 - Supporters & Anti-Trump Groups Take To The Streets
1. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 1 of 21
2. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 2 of 21
3. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 3 of 21
4. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 4 of 21
5. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 5 of 21
6. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 6 of 21
7. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 7 of 21
8. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 8 of 21
9. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 9 of 21
10. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 10 of 21
11. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 11 of 21
12. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 12 of 21
13. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 13 of 21
14. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 14 of 21
15. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 15 of 21
16. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 16 of 21
17. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 17 of 21
18. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 18 of 21
19. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 19 of 21
20. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 20 of 21
21. RNC 2016Source:Jon Goff 21 of 21
‘Angry White Folks’ & Racist Alt-Right Fueling Trump’s Poll Rise was originally published on newsone.com