Patti Labelle is a legend in many disciplines and our Majic Under The Stars performer has graced everything from television to film. But she’s also a legendary cook. Every day leading up to Majic Under The Stars on October 20th, we’ll be sharing some of Patti’s favorite recipes!
Today’s recipe? Sweet Potato Pie. Hey, maybe you can have your own Patti Pie at home! Join us and Patti at Majic Under The Stars on October 20th! Tickets are on sale now in the link below!
Total: 1 hr 15 min
Active: 30 min
Yield: 10 servings
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch kosher salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 ready-made deep-dish pie crust
- 1 package ready-made pie dough
- 1 large egg yolk, whisked
1. Boil the sweet potatoes in a large pot of boiling water until tender, about 25 minutes. Allow to cool down, then peel.
2. Place the sweet potatoes in a large mixing bowl along with the butter, cream, agave, cinnamon, nutmeg, almond extract, vanilla extract, salt and lemon zest. Mash and mix the ingredients together. Set aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
4. Lightly dust the pie crust with some cinnamon and nutmeg. Bake until light brown, about 10 minutes.
5. Remove the pan from the oven and add all of the sweet potato filling. Roll out one of the pie dough pieces (reserve the other for another use) and slice into strips. Line the top of the pie with parallel strips of pie dough. Rotate the pan 90 degrees and arrange a second row of pie dough at a right angle to the first to create a checked look on top. Brush the top with the egg yolk and bake until the pie is firm, about 40 minutes.