- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 envelope taco seasoning mix
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound chicken breast tenderloins
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded Mexican-style cheese blend, or more to taste
- 1 (7.5 ounce) package corn bread mix
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9×9-inch baking dish.
- Mix tomato sauce, water, taco seasoning mix, and chili powder together in a saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat and brown chicken tenderloins on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Pour tomato sauce mixture over the chicken, bring to a simmer, and cook over medium-low heat until chicken tenderloins are no longer pink inside, about 8 minutes. Transfer chicken to a bowl and shred; return shredded chicken to the sauce. Mix in black beans and cream cheese until thoroughly combined.
- Pour chicken mixture into prepared baking dish. Top with shredded Mexican cheese. Whisk corn bread mix, egg, and milk in a bowl, and spoon the batter over the chicken mix.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the casserole is bubbling and the corn bread topping is browned and set, about 30 minutes.