The Black community eagerly waited for Chris Rock to hit the Oscars stage and deliver an opening monologue so fierce, the Academy would consider throwing him in a cage with the same bear Leo wrestled in The Revenant.
Rock wasted no time tackling the big Black elephant in room. “Welcome to the Academy Awards, also known as White People’s Choice awards,” he said in his signature sarcasm.
Despite appearing a tad bit nervous, his Black presence was felt when he set Hollywood straight with his unapologetic humor.
“Is Hollywood racist? You’re damn right Hollywood is racist. But it’s not the racist you’ve grown accustomed to. Hollywood is sorority racist. It’s like, ‘We like you, Rhonda, but you’re not a Kappa.’
Jada Pinkett wasn’t exempt from the shade. Rock joked about Jada’s decision to boycott the Oscars likening it to him turning down Rihanna. “Jada boycotting the Oscars is like me boycotting Rihanna’s panties. I wasn’t invited,” he joked. Eh. Not one of our favorite parts of the night.
Rock’s opening monologue was pretty Black, but there were plenty more moments where that came from. Keep scrolling for the Blackest moments at #OscarsSoWhite.
This Beautiful Black Girl Scouts Troop
One of the lighter and more enjoyable moments of the evening came when Chris Rock introduced his daughter’s Girl Scout troop and launched the biggest cookie selling marketing campaign since Taraji gave distributed the sweet treat at the Emmys. It was #BlackGirlMagic at its finest.
This Fine Black Man In A Black Tux
White men didn’t know what to do when they saw their precious goddess around the arm of the undeniably handsome and charming Michael B Jordan. Chris Rock made the moment even Blacker when he introduced MBJ as someone who should have been nominated.
Stacey Dash proved she isn’t worth the dress she walked in wearing when she made an appearance and mocked Black people by wishing us a “Happy Black History Month.” Insert side eye. I thought we traded her for Rachel Dolezal in the racial draft…
The Weeknd’s Hair
We don’t really understand what’s going on with The Weeknd’s hair, so we know White America is equally as confused. It’s somewhere between dreads and a fade with a hint of naturalista.
Black History Month Minute
Which Black actor starred in Shark Tales and Enemy Of The State? No, silly. Not Will Smith, Jack Black! Lol. Chris Rock tapped Angela Bassett to take this skit about Black being overlooked at the Oscars, to another level.
Joe Biden Gave Chris Rock $20 For Girl Scout Cookies
Joe Biden has a Black card, so it’s no surprise he wanted in on some Girl Scout cookies. Who doesn’t love a box of thin mints or two?!
Red Carpet Rundown: 2016 Oscars
1. Chris RockSource:Getty 1 of 22
2. Chrissy Teigen and John LegendSource:Getty 2 of 22
3. Sylvester Stallone & His WifeSource:Getty 3 of 22
4. Pharrell WilliamsSource:Getty 4 of 22
5. Kerry WashingtonSource:Getty 5 of 22
6. Rachel McAdams and Michael B. JordanSource:Getty 6 of 22
7. Mindy KalingSource:Getty 7 of 22
8. Andra DaySource:Getty 8 of 22
9. The WeekndSource:Getty 9 of 22
10. Kevin Hart (R) with fiancee Eniko ParrishSource:Getty 10 of 22
11. CommonSource:Getty 11 of 22
12. Priyanka ChopraSource:Getty 12 of 22
13. Lady GagaSource:Getty 13 of 22
14. Whoopi GoldbergSource:Getty 14 of 22
15. Sofia VergaraSource:Getty 15 of 22
16. Dorith MousSource:Getty 16 of 22
17. Robin RobertsSource:Getty 17 of 22
18. Leonardo DiCaprioSource:Getty 18 of 22
19. Brie LarsonSource:Getty 19 of 22
20. Charlize TheronSource:Getty 20 of 22
21. Olivia WildeSource:Getty 21 of 22
22. Jennifer LawrenceSource:Getty 22 of 22
Chris Rock Rips Hollywood In Opening Monologue + The Oscars Blackest Moments was originally published on hellobeautiful.com