KMJQ Featured Video
CLOSE

Orlando, Florida (CNN) — Golfer Tiger Woods will be issued a careless driving citation for the crash outside his home last week, the Florida Highway Patrol said Tuesday.

He faces a $164 fine and four points on his license, but no criminal charges, Florida Highway Patrol spokeswoman Sgt. Kim Montes said.

There was insufficient evidence to request a subpoena for medical information in the case, Montes said, and no claims of domestic abuse.

“Mr. Woods’ status in no way impacted our investigation or conclusion,” Montes said. “The investigation has determined that Mr. Woods is at fault in the crash.”

At a news conference Tuesday, Maj. Cindy Williams of the highway patrol said that “Mr. Woods is at fault in the crash.”

She said that Woods satisfied the requirements of Florida law regarding motor vehicle accidents by providing his driver’s license, registration and proof of insurance to authorities.

“With the issuance of this citation, the Florida Highway Patrol has completed its investigation into this matter,” Williams said.

Meanwhile, ticketholders disappointed that Woods is skipping his own golf tournament can get refunds, tournament officials said. Those who attend will get a discount on next year’s tickets.

Woods canceled plans to attend the Chevron World Challenge in Southern California “due to injuries sustained in a one-car accident last week,” according to a statement Monday from the golfer.

Woods struck a fire hydrant and hit a tree with his 2009 Cadillac SUV in his luxury neighborhood near Windermere, Florida — about 20 miles west of Orlando — according to the police accident report. The crash happened soon after Woods pulled out of his driveway about 2:25 a.m. Friday, police said.

Windermere’s mayor called on the news media to back away from the story, saying, “Our residents would like to put this behind us.”

“It’s time to move on,” Mayor Gary Bruhn said. “Let the man recover if he is injured, and let him get back to his life, and let our residents get back to normalcy.”

The annual charity event, which Woods hosts in Thousand Oaks, California, is a major fundraiser for the Tiger Woods Foundation, but it was not immediately clear how much money it would lose because of Woods’ cancellation.

“I am extremely disappointed that I will not be at my tournament this week,” Woods said. “I am certain it will be an outstanding event, and I’m very sorry that I can’t be there.”

The incident has ended Woods’ golf appearances until next season, according to a statement posted on his Web site.

“Woods will not participate in any other tournaments in 2009 and will return to action next year,” the statement said.

The PGA Tour has ended for the year, but the first tournament of the 2010 season is just five weeks away. At least one other charity event is scheduled, but it is not clear if Woods had planned to attend.

The Chevron World Challenge will go on as planned despite the absence of its host, according to foundation President Greg McLaughlin.

“We support Tiger’s decision and are confident the strong field and excellent course will provide an exciting week of competition at the Chevron World Challenge,” McLaughlin said.

People holding tickets for the event — which runs Wednesday through Sunday — can apply for full refunds starting next Monday, tournament officials said.

All ticketholders who do not ask for refunds can get a 20 percent discount when buying 2010 tickets, they said.

Woods is a four-time winner of the tournament. A knee injury kept him from competing last year.

In a statement issued Sunday afternoon on his Web site, Woods offered no details of his accident except to say he had cuts and bruises and was “pretty sore.”

“This situation is my fault, and it’s obviously embarrassing to my family and me,” he said. “I’m human and I’m not perfect. I will certainly make sure this doesn’t happen again.”

Last week, a story in the National Enquirer alleged that Woods has been seeing a New York nightclub hostess. The woman denied having an affair with Woods when contacted by The Associated Press.

The woman in question has retained Los Angeles lawyer Gloria Allred, who is know for handling high-profile cases, to represent her. Allred told CNN there were no immediate plans for a news conference, although she may soon release a written statement.

Woods, 33, has won the Masters tournament and the PGA tournament four times each, as well as three U.S. Open Championships.

Authorities have said they don’t have details on why Woods was driving away from his home at such an early hour, but a police report said the wreck was not alcohol-related. State troopers have asked to question him three times about the accident, but he canceled a scheduled interview Sunday, Montes told CNN.

Woods’ agent, Mark Steinberg, issued a statement saying, “We have been informed by the Florida Highway Patrol that further discussion with them is both voluntary and optional.

“Although Tiger realizes that there is a great deal of public curiosity, it has been conveyed to FHP that he simply has nothing more to add and wishes to protect the privacy of his family.”

Under Florida law, Woods must show his license, registration and proof of insurance to police, but is not obligated to give a statement on the crash. His attorney, Mark NeJame, handed over the required documents to the troopers Sunday at Woods’ home, Montes said.

“If we’re unable to meet with him, we’ll move on with our investigation,” Montes said. But she called the delays “very unusual, because it’s such a minor accident.”

Investigators had sought possible surveillance tapes of the accident from neighbors, but none were found, she said.

In his statement, Woods praised his wife, Elin Nordegren, who he said “acted courageously when she saw I was hurt and in trouble.” Nordegren told police she used a golf club to break out the rear window of the vehicle, and then pulled Woods from the SUV after she heard the accident from inside their home.

But Woods said, “This is a private matter, and I want to keep it that way.” And, he added, “The only person responsible for the accident is me.”

Woods and his wife have two children, a 2-year-old and a baby born in February.

Via: CNN.com