Birmingham, Ala. Mayor William Bell and Councilman Marcus Lundy were involved in a fistfight during a city council meeting on Tuesday morning.
Bell and Lundy were at odds over a city matter that turned personal, according to ABC News. While alone in a council chamber backroom, Lundy allegedly cursed at Bell as he tried to leave. Bell told police he attempted to exit three times, but was stopped when Lundy placed him in a chokehold.
Lundy claimed Bell was the one who started the fight.
The matter was allegedly linked to Lundy driving a city vehicle. He was then forced to return the car over laws prohibiting council members from driving multiple city vehicles. The councilman claims Bell was using the incident as an excuse to fire him.
ABC News reports:
A video of the council meeting captures sounds of a man repeatedly shouting “No!” from outside the council chamber before the presiding member calls for a recess.
Members scurry past double doors decorated with Christmas wreaths toward the noise as the gavel slams down, and a perplexed look crosses the face of a man who was making a presentation.
After the dust settled, Mayor William Bell and Councilman Marcus Lundy both had minor injuries. The council meeting ended early. A man dressed up as Santa Claus sat slouched in a chair outside council chambers afterward while police lingered in the hallway.
A Birmingham police spokesman told reporters a warrant had been issued for Lundy’s arrest. He is also facing a possible assault charge.
Reporters who were present at the meeting took to Twitter to release photos of Bell’s injuries.
Bell and Lundy were both taken to a local hospital. The mayor suffered from bruises on his left knee and neck. He also underwent a CT scan and MRI.
Council President Johnathan Austin told AL.com the altercation was an embarrassment to the council and is also emblematic of the problems his team has been facing.
“What occurred at City Hall today is a direct reflection of the lack towards the Council and unwillingness to cooperate,” Austin told AL.com. “We have worked continuously to move this city forward, and it’s a sad day when council members are attacked while trying to do the job that they were elected to do.”
Austin said Lundy is expected to press charges.
Politicians Doing Time for Their Crime
1. Former Congressman William Jefferson1 of 21
2. Former Detroit City Council President Monica Conyers2 of 21
3. Former Ohio State Representative W. Carlton Weddington3 of 21
4. Sisters of corruption -Jane Orie, Joan Orie Melvin and Janine Orie4 of 21
5. Former Alabama State Representative James Thomas5 of 21
6. Former Mississippi state prosecutor and judge Bobby DeLaughter6 of 21
7. Former New York State Senator Shirley Huntley7 of 21
8. Former Governor of Illinois and golden boy Rod Blagojevich8 of 21
9. Former Prince George's County Council member Leslie Johnson9 of 21
10. Former Prince County Executive Jack B. Johnson10 of 21
11. Former Birmingham Mayor Larry Langford11 of 21
12. Former Federal District Judge Samuel B. Kent (Texas)12 of 21
13. Former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin13 of 21
14. Former Trump Campaign Aide Rick Gates14 of 21
15. Former City Councilman Larry Seabrook15 of 21
16. Former New York State Senator Efrain Gonzalez16 of 21
17. Former Congressman Anthony Weiner17 of 21
18. Former Connecticut Governor John G. Rowland18 of 21
19. Former State Senator Dianne Wilkerson19 of 21
20. Former D.C. Council member Marion Barry20 of 21
21. Former Trump Campaign Aide Paul Manafort21 of 21
Alabama Politicians Get Into Brawl During City Council Meeting was originally published on newsone.com